- Ratchet & Socket Set
- Torque Wrench
- Snap Ring Pliers
- Flat Head Screwdriver
- Tapered Punch
- Stud Extractor
- 1. Read all instructions completely and carefully before you begin.
2. Check to make sure the kit is complete and that no parts are missing. If anything is missing, please contact Trail-Gear at (559) 252-4950.
3. Park vehicle on a clean, dry, at, level surface and block the tires so the vehicle can not roll in either direction.
4. This kit is for off-road use only. It is recommended that the installation steps below be performed by a competent mechanic. Buyers and users of this product hereby expressly assume all risks associated with the installation and use of this kit.
1.On a flat, level surface, raise the vehicle, and place securely on jack stands.
2. Set the control dial on the Locking Hub to the “Free” setting. Remove the (6) bolts holding the Locking Hub Cover onto the body of the Locking Hub
3. Using snap ring pliers, remove the snap ring from the axle shaft. Save the snap ring for re-installation.
4. Loosen & remove the (6) stock hex nuts and washers that hold the Locking Hub onto the Hub. Discard the stock hex nuts & washers.
5. Using a tapered punch, gently tap on the slit of each Cone Washer to loosen the Cone Washers. Remove & discard the (6) stock Cone Washers. Remove the Locking Hub body and save for re-installation.
6. Using a stud extractor or the double-nut method, remove the (6) stock Hub Studs from the Solid Axle Hub. You may need to apply penetrating oil before attempting to remove the stock Hub Studs.
7.Clean the threaded holes on the Solid Axle Hub.
8. Install the new hub studs using a 6mm socket. Torque the studs to the torque value specified in the Toyota Factory Service Manual. If desired, apply Loctite to the female threads in the Solid Axle Hub and the male threads of the new Hub Stud.
9. Install the Locking Hub body onto the Solid Axle Hub. Make sure to align the dowel pins with the corresponding alignment holes in the mounting surface of the Locking Hub body.
10.Install the new Cone Washers, lock washers, and hex nuts in the order shown in the diagram below. NOTE: Some aftermarket Locking Hubs have mounting flanges that vary in height. These may require an M8 or 5/16” flat washer to be placed between the Cone Washer and lock washer in order for the hex nut to be completely tightened down (flat washers not included).
11. Tighten the hex nuts in a star pattern. Torque each hex nut to 23 ft-lbs or to the torque value specified in the Toyota Factory Service Manual.
12. Install a bolt into the axle shaft and pull out the axle shaft until the snap ring groove is accessible. Using snap ring pliers, reinstall the snap ring removed in Step 3 onto the axle shaft. Remove the bolt from the axle shaft.
13. Apply grease to the inner hub splines.
14. Set the control dial on the Locking Hub to the “Free” setting. Set the clutch to the free position. Place the gasket on the Locking Hub Cover (it is recommended that you install a new gasket).
15. Align the follower pawl tabs with the non-toothed portions of the Locking Hub body. Install the Locking Hub Cover back onto the Locking Hub Body using the (6) screws removed in Step 2. Torque each screw to 7 ft-lbs or to the torque value specified in the Toyota Factory Service Manual.
16. Verify that the Locking Hub locks and unlocks properly.
17.Remove the jack stands from underneath the vehicle.
18.Check the torque on the hex nuts periodically and before each wheeling trip.
731 total views