OME Suspension Kit Installation
1. Park the Vehicle on a level concrete surface with the steering wheel centered.
2. Block/chock rear wheels to prevent the vehicle movement.
3. Jack the front end up and secure the vehicle on large jack stands.
4. Remove front wheels/tires.
5. Remove the front skid plate.
6. Remove the lower shock nut and bolt.
7. Remove the top three nuts holding the coil over to the shock tower.
8. Being careful not to overextend and pull apart the inner CV Axle joint, move the spindle/hub assembly out of the way so that the coil-over can be removed from the vehicle. Remove the coil-over on both sides.
9.Before compressing the coil, make note of the stud orientation in relation to the lower shock eyelet hole. The stud which is closest to the engine is aligned directly down the center of the strut body, 90 degrees from the center bottom shock eyelet hole.
10. Secure and compress the coil using a suitable spring compressor. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A HEAVY DUTY SPRING COMPRESSOR OR THE EXPERIENCE REQUIRED TO COMPRESS COIL SPRINGS, IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT YOU TAKE THE COIL-OVER TO A QUALIFIED SERVICE PROFESSIONAL! MANY PART STORES AND AUTOMOTIVE CENTERS CAN PROVIDE THIS SERVICE.
11. Remove the top nut holding the coil-over assembly together. Remove all washers, bushing, spring isolator, and top plate from the coil-over assembly. Note in what order all washers, bushings, top plate, and spring isolator come off the shock shaft, both above and below the top plate. Re-assembly of these parts must be accomplished in the same order. The spring isolator always goes next to the spring!
12. Decompress the springs, discard the springs and stock shocks.
13. IF YOU ARE USING A TOP PLATE SPACER: Remove the three top plate studs on both of the top plates. This can be accomplished with a vice and a large deep socket, or by placing a large deep socket on the concrete and hammer them out. Replace the O.E. studs with the new longer studs.
14. Install the coil seat on the new shock.
15. Secure and compress the new spring. Install the new shock, washers, bushings, spring isolator, top plate, remaining washers, bushings and top nut in the reverse order as disassembly. Double check that the top plate bolts is aligned correctly with the bottom of the shock, before and while decompressing the coil. Repeat assembly for the other side. Make sure to remember which side is the driver side.
16. If top plate spacer is being used install on top of the coil-over assembly.
17.Position the coil-over onto the vehicle, sliding the top into the shock tower first. Install the top three nuts which hold the coil-over to the shock tower finger tight. Install the lower shock bolt and nut. You may need to pry down on the upper control arm in order to get the lower shock bolt installed. Torque upper nuts and lower bolt/nut to manufacture specs.
18. Reinstall the lower ball joint bolts, wheels/tires, and the skid plate. Torque all of the bolts and nuts to manufacturer specs.
19. Recheck the torque of all the bolts/ nuts which have been taken apart during the installation of this lift after 15 miles, and periodically thereafter.
Rear Coil Installation 1990-2002 4Runner
- Park the vehicle on a level concrete surface with the steering wheel centered.
- Block/ chock the front wheels to prevent vehicle movement.
- Jack the rear end and place jack stands under the frame allowing the rear suspension to move up and down freely.
- Remove the lower shock bolts, while supporting the axle with a jack. If new shocks are being installed remove old shocks complexly. Then lower the jack allowing the axle to drop dawn as far as needed to relieve pressure on the coil springs for removal.
- Disconnect the sway bar from the front of the rear axle, or from the end links.
- Remove the coil springs and the rubber bump stops. You may need to pry with a pry bar to get the springs out. Some models do not have the rubber bump stops inside the coil springs. NOTE: The rubber bump stops that goes inside the coil springs (if equipped) is reused with the new rear springs or spacers.
- Install the new springs, or the spring and spacer onto the axle. The use of small coil spring compressor will help with the installation. NOTE: IF COIL SPRINGS ARE MARKED WITH AN A OR B. A IS DRIVER SIDE AND B IS PASSENGER SIDE. SPACERS: The spacer goes above the coil spring.
- Jack up the axle while watching the springs and spacers making sure that everything is properly aligned.
- Bolt on new shocks or stock shocks.
- Reconnect the sway bar.
- Re-install the wheels.
- Remove the jack stands and lower the vehicle. Recheck all the bolts and nuts and make sure that they are properly torqued to specs.
257 total views