These instructions are specific for our Crane ignition boxes being installed on a 20R or 22R (carbureted only) vehicle. These are Crane’s basic magnetic trigger hook-up instructions with some minor modifications to make them more specific for your Toyota 20R/22R. These kits will eliminate your stock igniter.
- Thick red wire goes to +12 volt battery.
- Thick black wire goes to a good ground, Battery Negative Terminal.
- The thin red wire (in connector with unused white wire) needs to be spliced into a switched +12 volt
source. You can pull this from the ignition switch or from the power source to your original igniter.
- White wire (in connector with thin red wire) is unused and needs to be shrink wrapped or taped with
electrical tape to prevent it from shorting out.
- Distributor harness:
o Green (-) from ignition box goes to the red wire on your distributor.
o Violet (+) from ignition box goes to the white wire on your distributor.
o Warning Polarity is very important
- Coil harness:
o Black from ignition box goes to negative side of coil.
o Orange from ignition box goes to positive side of coil.
- Blue wire from ignition box goes to switched +12 volt source, same as red and white connections.
- Yellow/White wire from ignition box goes to switched +12 volt source to activate rev limiter. The rev
limiter will not work if this is not connected.
o This wire is also used with optional staged limiters or line lock devices. See Cranes “basic
magnetic instructions” for more info.
- Brown/White wire is used for retard input. See Crane instructions for more info.
- Green wire is used to hook up tachometer. The picture above shows a normal aftermarket tachometer
hookup. If you are using the stock tachometer then you will splice it into the tachometer lead from your
- Check ignition timing advance after installation to be sure polarity is correct. If no advance is seen check
DUI Distributor Wiring Instructions:
- Pink: 12v Switch
- Black: Not needed
- Brown: Connect to White wire on FAST E6 ignition.
- Heavy Red: Battery Positive
- Heavy Black: Battery Negative
- Small Red: 12v Switched
- White: Connect to Brown coming out of distributor base
- Orange: B+ Terminal on HEI cap
- Black: C- Terminal on HEI cap
- Finally, the middle terminal marked GND on the HEI cap needs to be connected to an engine ground.
On the HEI wires coming out of the base of the distributor:
On the FAST E6 Ignition wires:
5,290 total views