- 1. Disconnect Negative battery cable.
2. Remove cable clip that holds the air meter cable to air box lid.
3. Unplug air meter harness and set aside. Take caution not to break the spring clip that holds the plug to the meter.
4. Remove three bolts that hold the air box to inner fender
5. Loosen hose clamp where air tube meets air meter.
6. For 88-95 vehicles, remove vent hose from air box
7. Remove air box and air meter as an assembly. Remove snorkel from grille.
8. Unbolt air meter from air box
9. Remove studs from air meter. We recommend the double-nut method for removing the studs.
10. Install bracket on to air meter using the stock gasket and four included allen bolts. Apply a small amount of thread locker to the threads to keep them from backing off. Be careful not to over-tighten the bolts.
11. Install bracket to inner fenderwell. The front bolt hole from the stock air box will be re-used to locate the plate. Install one included 8mm bolt and tighten just enough so that the bracket can still be moved slightly.
12. On 89-95 vehicles, the harness must be relocated around the new bracket. See photo for routing recommendation.
- 13. Install air intake hose to air meter to properly position bracket.
14. Using the bracket as a template, make a mark on the fenderwell through the unused hole. This will be where you will drill through the fender to insert the second bolt.
15. Remove intake tube, then remove bracket, filter and air meter as a complete assembly and set aside.
16. Center-punch where you marked for the bolt hole in the fenderwell. Using a 21/64” drill bit (3/8” will also work), drill the hole in the fenderwell, taking caution as to only drill through the fenderwell. Make sure there is nothing below the drill point that may get damaged from the drill bit.
17. Install the bracket/air meter/air filter adapter assembly back onto vehicle using the two 8mm bolts, washers and lock nut provided. Tighten securely. (Wave washers go on bolt side, flat washer goes on the nut side).
18. Re-install intake tube and tighten hose clamps.
19. Late model vehicles (88-95) will need to shorten the bypass hose (from the resonator) to fit onto the new fitting on the bracket. To retain the vent tube, you must install the included ¾”-¼” NPT nylon adapter into the back side of the air filter bracket. Early vehicles need to install the included ¼” NPT pipe plug into this hole, using thread sealer.
20. Re-check all clamps and hardware and tighten as needed.
21. Connect air meter plug and harness.
22. Install air filter on to bracket and tighten hose clamp. Do not over-tighten
23. Reconnect battery cable
24. Start vehicle and check for any leaks.
1,041 total views