Why delete the balance shaft on the 3RZ?
Over the years we have heard so many different stories about why people remove their Balance Shaft System on their 3RZ engines. The truth is: We first removed it to simplify our own race engines. Less variables in the equation, less parts to fail. We found that if these bearings go out, the shafts will wear on the block and the only solution would be to replace the block. This is far from a desired result on Toyota engine.
Anytime resistance is alleviated from the rotating assembly, more power will be produced. However, this kit is not considered a power gain modification by LC Engineering. We have done this modification to all our 3RZ Race Engines, and we have sold hundreds of kits, for either daily drivers or professional racers, with no complaints. Vibrations will improve slightly, but nothing too noticeable. (If you are an Off-Roader, you may not even notice it).
In summary, our 3RZ Balance Shaft Removal Kit is a great way to make your 3RZ more reliable and simple. Not to mention it can be done without removing the engine from the vehicle. We recommend installing this system at the same time you are doing your timing chain replacement, since everything will be taken off already. Comes complete with detailed instructions for a simple installation process.
- Remove all chains, sprockets, and counterbalance shafts etc... from engine.
- Remove the Dowel pin (A) above balance shaft opening (Passenger's side of block). THIS WILL NOT BE RE-USED.
- Using the supplied drill bit, drill out the Oil Pressure Port (B) . Then using the supplied 1/16" tap. Tap block so thatplug will fit flush into block. ALWAYS USE TAP LUBE AND TAP WITH CAUTION.
- Be sure to clean all metal shavings from engine. Use a shop vac if installation is done in the truck.
- Install supplied pipe plug into Oil Pressure Port (B) using Teflon sealant or Loctite.
7. Deburr block and then proceed to install the new Aluminum bearing insert into balance shaft block holes. THIS IS TO BLOCK OIL FLOW. **FOR EASE OF INSTALL: Place new Aluminum Bearing Inserts in the freezer for approx. 30 min. prior to installation.**
8. Install the new billet oil jet where tensioner was removed (driver's side of block). Longer bolt (M8-1.25x40mm) goes on the guide rail mount location (D). (Stock studs must get removed and will not get re-used)
9. Torque oil jet bolts to 14 Ft-Lbs.
10. Install cam timing chain and guides according to factory service manual.
11. DO NOT RE-INSTALL ANY COUNTER BALANCE COMPONENTS.
2,887 total views