- Start engine and allow to reach normal operating temperature.
- Connect a tachometer test probe to terminal IG of the check connector.
NOTE: Never let a tachometer lead touch the ground as this could cause damage to the igniter and/or coil. Be sure the check that your tachometer is compatible with this ignition system. Consult the operating manual for your instrument.
- Using the service wire, connect terminals "T" & "E1" of the check connector.
- Check idle speed. Your idle speed should be at, or close to 800 RPM.
- Using a timing light verify that the timing mark on the timing cover is aligned with the mark on the crankshaft pulley.
- Tighten the distributor bolt and recheck the ignition timing.
- Remove service wire.
- Check idle advance timing with service wire removed.
- Check idle speed and adjust as necessary, Computerized Engine Controls.
- Disconnect tachometer and timing light from engine.
Ignition Timing - 10 degrees BTDC at idle:
Ignition Timing - 8 degrees BTDC at idle:
468 total views